Monday 10 May 2010

To the shops – the working woman’s way

Ten years ago one of my favourite pastimes was shopping. I lived in Dubai and it was (and still is) a shoppers’ paradise. My weaknesses were, shoes and accessories, and cosmetics and skincare. I used to love trips to London and I would spend hours in the Beauty Hall in Selfridges and other department stores, discussing, testing and buying all combination of products and brands.

I still love cosmetics and skincare, but I rarely head to the large beauty halls. If I do, it is a grabbed 30 minutes as I change tubes at Oxford Street after a day of meetings in the city. Online purchases make up about 80% of my annual spend.

When I was pregnant with my second daughter, I sat back and calculated our family income and outgoings. I had made a career choice to move out of the fast paced technology sector. However, apart from the mortgage repayments, my spending had not proportionately decreased. I also took a close look in my bathroom cupboard and calculated about £700 worth of skincare products, some being used, some half used or some pushed to the back, forgotten and rather dusty.

Now a sensible pregnant woman would have mixed, matched and used up, but not this one. I planned a trip to Boots to see what was more cost effective and on offer. However, while eating and watching daytime TV (only for the first week of maternity leave) – I randomly channel hopped to QVC, a shopping channel, where I saw Liz Earle interviewed and promoting her products. I remembered Liz as a beauty expert and reviewer on TV years ago. I stopped watching, opened my PC, checked out her website, purchased and have never looked back.

For over 3 years I have only used Liz Earle skincare on my face. Today I happily shop online for my favourites and what I believe are my bare face necessities; Cleanse and Polish, Instant Boost Skin Tonic and Skin Repair Moisturiser. Plus, I buy the Superskin Moisturiser for before bed or if my forehead is particularly dry.

The website is simple, practical and not necessarily the best online shopping experience. My enjoyment starts when the postman delivers... watch out for my Liz Earle skincare review upon receipt of my purchases.

ps - What happened to my £700 worth of skincare products? My retired mother was very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment