Monday 17 May 2010

Off to the shops I go!


Yesterday I felt I needed a couple of hours on my own. I had to buy my husband some new work clothes (my husband doesn’t shop and has never shopped). I keep this simple by visiting M&S where I know his sizes. I left trusty M&S, three bags heavier, with 3 x trousers, 2 x shirts, 1 x tie, 5 x socks and 1 pair of shoes. Oh and a pair of sunglasses for me!

All this effort meant I deserved a treat. Upon reading my blog, one of my ex-colleagues and now friends said that she didn’t know I was interested in make-up. Note to self: make more of an effort for work. However, this then began a great discussion of brands. She relied on her sister (a huge cosmetic fan) to bore of products and pass them on. But she did mention her favourite brand was Benefit. She was shocked I had never tried a single product.
Now in Swindon you are not really spoiled for choice when it comes to Beauty Halls. So I nipped to Boots where I could also buy Shampoo and Hayfever tablets. There is a fairly large area dedicated to Benefit and a very helpful assistant called Vicky who spent 20 minutes with me, showing a good selection of make-up and re-doing and improving my eyes.

This was worth it because I left with my little Benefit bag holding 7 new delights.

This evening with one daughter in bed, I decided to try my purchases to ensure that the new eye regime can fit into my allotted 5 minutes in the morning dedicated to hair (usually put up) and make up. I smiled into the mirror at the result. What a result! I would never, in a million years, ever thought of wearing anything other than black or brownish black mascara. But here I was with fab eyes with plum lashes.

I used:

Benefit Boi-ing concealer (01), applied with new Concealer Brush (all around the eye, including lid and nose).

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-place Powder make-up
Clinique Almost Bronzer

Eyes: Benefit Creaseless Cream shadow/ liner in ‘RSVP’ and ‘Get Figgy’. Plus, BadGal Plum Mascara

Lips: Clinque Quickliner for lips and Benefit lip gloss ‘friends in high places’

To finish Benefit High Beam, complexion enhancer

Just as I was admiring the new look in my mirror, my 6 year old walked in and said, “Wow Mum you look great”. Now I was wearing my dressing gown and my hair was in a ponytail. So I knew this spontaneous admiration was about my face. “Can I wear some?” was the next comment. To which I replied “Don’t tell your father” while passing her my new lip gloss.

Boi-ing Concealer – 7/10. OK, I think I will miss the liquid Touche Eclat or No. 7 (cost effective) equivalent. The coverage was good, but it did not feel light to apply, even with my new concealer brush.

Eye Cream – 10/10. Easy to apply, fantastic cover, perfect amount of sheen for every day (plus you could get extra impact for an evening by applying more) and great colours.

Mascara – 9/10. Two coats applied really well. This really lengthened my lashes. Great colour and importantly this was very easy to use with a plump brush ensuring no clumps and no lashes sticking together.

Lip Gloss – 7/10. Nice taste, but slightly sticky. I am a lipstick girl, so although I am trying the natural &/or high gloss look, I still think I will have to opt for a standard moisturising lipstick as a preference.

Highlighter – 9/10.Why have I never used a product like this before? Although I used very little, with evening sun coming in my bedroom window I really did feel quite sparkly.

In summary – don’t forget Boots when you are buying quality cosmetics. I cannot rate the Benefit advisor highly enough. Plus you get your Advantage Card points. And if you don’t try anything else, do try a cream shadow. RSVP is a perfect base colour and would suit almost everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment